- Physical Collections
- Digital Collections
- Histories and Timelines
- Marilyn Crandell Schleg Memorial Lecture
Albion College Historical Timeline
Rev. Henry Colclazer, Dr. Benjamin H. Packard, and Rev. Elijah H. Pilcher consult on the establishment of a Methodist institution of higher learning.
1835, March 23
Charter for the Wesleyan Seminary at Spring Arbor is signed into law.
1839, April 12
Legislative amendment moves the location of Wesleyan Seminary from then what was Spring Arbor to Albion.
1841, July 6
Cornerstone is laid for Central Building.
Bell House is built.
1842, October 27
First students are welcomed to Wesleyan Seminary.
Central Building opens for first classes.
Charles Franklin Stockwell, first principal of the Seminary, resigns.
Rev. Clark T. Hinman becomes principal of the Seminary.
1850, February 18
Public Law 28 to enlarge Wesleyan Seminary to include a Female Collegiate Institute is approved.
North Hall is completed.
Rev. Clark T. Hinman resigns as principal.
Dr. Ira Mayhew becomes principal.
North Hall burns down from a wood stove fire & is rebuilt from insurance settlement.
Ira Mayhew is elected Superintendent of Public Instruction for the State of Michigan.
Norman Abbott, Professor of Mathematics, becomes acting principal.
Rev. Dr. Thomas Henry Sinex becomes principal.
Female Collegiate Institute is renamed the Albion Female College; Building of South Hall begins.
Building of South Hall is halted when funding runs out.
1861, February 25
Amendment to the charter is approved, changing the Seminary to Albion College; Rev. Dr. Thomas H. Sinex becomes first president of Albion College.
Rev. Dr. T.H. Sinex resigns as president.
Rev. Dr. George B. Jocelyn becomes the second president of Albion College.
First edition of the student newspaper, the College Standard comes out.
1869, February 17
Rev. Dr. Jocelyn resigns as president, effective June 17, 1869.
Professor Charles W. Bennett is elected president and professor of mental and moral philosophy.
1869, August 12
Charles Bennett declines Albion College presidency.
Trustees offer presidency to Rev. J. LaGrange McKown.
1870, March 16
President McKown is "released from his College duties" by the trustees.
1870, March 18
Professor John McEldowney is named president pro tem.
1870, June 16
Dr. William B. Silber is elected president of Albion College.
Classes first held in Central Building on a regular basis.
Building of South Hall is resumed.
First class memorial is created, thirteen boulders assembled on campus by the Class of 1870.
1870, December 13
South Hall is dedicated.
Second class memorial is created, thirteen evergreens are planted in front of the Central Building by the Class of 1871.
The College Standard becomes The Annalist.
1871, June 13
Trustees elect Rev. Dr. George B. Jocelyn as president for the second time, ousting Silber.
Class of 1872 commissions a painting of President Jocelyn by George Balthazar Gardner as their senior gift.
Baseball diamond is laid out on Union Square (the quad).
Anna Howard Shaw attends Albion College.
Publication of The Annalist stops and there is no student newspaper for 9 nine years, except for a single copy of a publication entitled The College Monthly.
Anna Howard Shaw leaves Albion to study at Boston University.
Class of 1876, in recognition of the Centennial Year, purchases a copy of the familiar Charles Gilbert Stuart depiction of George Washingon.
1883, September 8
Observatory cornerstone is laid.
Observatory completed for only $10,000.
Chemistry Lab moves to Central Building.
Original Gymnasium completed; Bell House disassembled, removed from campus; Bell is placed in Gymnasium.
1892, January 6
Chemistry Lab in Central Building catches on fire.
McMillan Chemical Laboratory is built.
Before this year, each dorm room had only a small wood stove for heat.
Class of 1899 memorial is the Rock.
1916, June 12
Epworth Physical Laboratory is dedicated.
1922, January 12
Gymnasium burns to the ground & students celebrate; College bell falls from tower & cracks.
North Hall burns down again – Arson?
1923, November 25
Fire of unknown origin strikes the Delta Tau Delta fraternity house
South Hall is renovated, enlarging the chapel, adding a stage & music rooms.
North Hall is renovated.